- 2.5 – 3 pounds beef (the good stuff!)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 small yellow or white onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp each: kosher salt, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, pinch of red chili flakes
- 1.5 cups organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups organic beef stock
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- Break out your slow cooker. Trim your beef of excess fat, cut into 3-4 inch chunks and set in the crock pot.
- Peel and chop the carrots, slice the onion and chop the garlic. Add these to the pot with the beef along with the seasonings: salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano, thyme, cinnamon and red chili flakes.
- Pour in the beef stock and crushed tomatoes. Add the tomato paste and give everything a good stir. Note: This portion of liquid will produce a fair amount of sauce. If you plan to serve the beef sections whole, you may want to reduce the liquid to 1 cup beef stock, 1 cup crushed tomatoes. If you would like to shred the beef in the sauce before serving, keep the liquid measurements as is.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to low for 5-6 hours. My crock pot is an over-achiever and cooks everything faster than it should. My beef was perfect at four and a half hours, so 5-6 hours will likely work for you.