- One large head of cauliflower, stems removed, cut into small to medium chunks of florets.
- 1 cup of tomato sauce (or 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped).
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock (or water).
- 1 heaping tbsp of tomato paste.
- 1 medium white onion, diced.
- 2 bell peppers (preferably red and yellow), diced.
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced large.
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- 2 tsp of chipotle powder/flakes (can substitute cayenne).
- 2 tsp of ground cumin.
- 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- 1 tsp of black or white pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- Add your chicken stock (or water), tomato sauce (or tomatoes), and tomato paste to your slow cooker, stir.
- Add your spices to your slow cooker, stir.
- Add your onion and peppers to your slow cooker, stir.
- Add your cauliflower florets to your slow cooker, stir everything to coat florets with as much liquid as possible.
- This recipe is designed for a 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours tops. Cook on high for 3 hours tops.
- If using a 4-quart cooker, use 2/3 of the ingredient amounts and the same cooking times.
- After cooking, use a spatula or other blunt-ended object to slightly “mash” the florets so that they break up into a rice-like consistency.
- Stir well and drain any excess liquid that you do not desire. The cauliflower will absorb more liquid if you store it in the fridge overnight, yet this is a good thing.