- 12 oz pork Italian sausage
- 2 carrots (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (white or yellow)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt, 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning, pinch of red chili flakes
- fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Optional: grated myzithra cheese
- 1 cup organic crushed tomatoes
- one of each (or your choice of): eggplant, zucchini, yellow straightneck squash
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and a pan to medium-high heat. Peel and chop the carrots, dice the onion, chop the kale and mince the garlic. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the pan to sauté the veggies, garlic, pork sausage and seasonings (salt, dried herbs, chili flakes) until the pork is cooked through. Pour the crushed tomatoes in last, simmer for just a minute or so, then remove from heat.
- Slice the eggplant about a half in thick and lay on the bottom of a deep baking dish. Slice the zucchini and summer squash as well, but go a little thinner…about a quarter inch. A mandolin would be handy here, but using your favorite knife works just the same. Plus you get to practice your knife skills! Be sure to stabilize them first by making a thin lengthwise slice. Lay that flat side down on your work surface, making it much easier to work with your round zucchini/squash for those thin, noodle-like slices.
- Layer accordingly:
- 1) Eggplant
- 2) 1/2 meat sauce *with a sprinkle of myzithra
- 3) zucchini
- 4) remaining meat sauce
- 5) yellow straighneck squash *top with 1/4 cup grated myzithra
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until the squash are tender. Let rest for 5 minutes before garnishing with chopped basil and flat-leaf parsley and serving.