- 1 pound – Hot or Mild Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoon – Olive oil
- 1 large – onion, chopped
- 3 large – cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cup – Chicken stock
- 1 can – 28 oz tomatoes, chopped
- 1 packages – 10 oz frozen spinach, chop
- 1 1/2 cup – Sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup – Frozen cut beans
- 1 1/2 tablespoon – Dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon – Dried Marjoram
- 1 pinch – Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1 can – 19 oz Romano beans
- 3/4 cup – Small shell pasta
- Prick the skins of the sausages; place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Drain; cut into slices.
- In a large saucepan or dutch kettle, heat oil and lightly brown the sausage slices.
- Add the onions and garlic; cook 2 – 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes including juice, frozen spinach, carrots, beans, basil, marjoram and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the romano beans including liquid, and the pasta and peas.
- Let simmer 5 ~ 7 minutes more or until pasta is al dente – tender but firm.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Thin soup with additional chicken stock (if you wish).
- Ladle soup into heated bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese