Makes 8 stuffed sweet potatoes skins
- 2 – 3 lb pork roast or loin
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup BBQ sauce + some more for topping
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1- 2 T olive or coconut oil or butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional ingredients: ½ cup of your favorite cheese (we use a raw milk sharp cheddar), extra BBQ sauce, guacamole, avocado slices, cilantro or parsley
- Put your pork in a slow cooker along with the ½ cup of chicken stock or water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When the pork is done cooking, shred it with 2 forks and then add in the ½ cup of BBQ sauce. Stir until combined.
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Bake your sweet potatoes until soft, about 40 minutes (or longer depending on their size).
- Once they are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop the insides out in a bowl. Make sure to leave a small bit of sweet potato still in the skins. Salt and pepper the sweet potato mash and stir to combine. Set the mash aside.
- Take all the potato skins and place them on a greased cookie sheet, cut side down. Brush the skins with oil or butter and sprinkle some more salt and pepper on them. Bake for 13 – 15 minutes.
- When the skins are in the oven crisping up, caramelize your sliced onions by adding them to a skillet with 1 T olive oil over medium low heat. Cook until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Once the potato skins come out of the oven, flip them over and fill each skin with about 2 T of the sweet potato mash. You will most likely have some sweet potato mash left over. That’s ok – just put it in the fridge and use it another day (for smoothies, as a side for lunch, etc.). Then pile on the BBQ pork. Next, add ½ piece of bacon per skin. Next add your caramelized onions. Top with 1 T cheese per skin if you are using cheese.
- Pop them back in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Once they come out of the oven, top with a dollop of extra BBQ sauce and then top with any extra toppings you wish. Enjoy!