- 12 apples (use different varieties)
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Crockpot (mine holds 6 quarts)
- Canning Jars (8 1/2 pint jars)
Note: When buying my apples, I purchased 4 Fugi, 4 Gala and 4 Red Delicious. Choosing different varieties gives better flavor and texture, and of course, better pictures.
1. First, peel your apples. This takes a while, but I firmly believe the more work you put into cooking, the better it tastes.
2. After they’re undressed, core and chop them.
3. In extra large mixing bowl, toss apples, honey, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until apples are thoroughly coated. If you don’t like your butter very sweet, cut raw honey to 1/3 cup.
4. Place mixture in crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour.
5. Reduce to low and cook for 8 to 9 hours, stirring occasionally. Here’s a glimpse of how it looks around the 4-hour mark.
6. Once apples have broken down, use hand mixer to blend mixture until it reaches desired consistency.