Coffee Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all spice rub ingredients together and set aside.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil (I tried out a new brand of coconut oil called Kelapo and it’s very tasty, mild, and downright delicious!)
- 2.5 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- ¾ cup water
- Heat your coconut oil in a skillet over medium to medium high heat, make sure your pan is nice and hot!
- Take the spice rub mixture and rub the entire amount into and all over the roast – really rub it in, do not just brush it on!.
- Using tongs, place the roast into the hot skillet and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side. If your pan is not hot enough you will lose your spices, but if it’s too hot, you will burn your roast.
- You want it to make a nice crust on both sides of the meat.
- Place your sliced onions in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Once the roast has been seared, put the roast in the slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Add the water, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Serves 6.