Hierarchy of Importance:
- Remember the total amount of macronutrients by the end of the day (24hrs) is of most importance, timing is secondary.
- Through the day, there is a constant overlap of meal absorption, negating the need to split hairs over the precision of meal placement.
During Training Nutrition Goals
- The objective of during exercise nutrition is to maintain sufficient levels of hydration, blood glucose, and amino acids.
During Training Protein
- 8-15g per hour is needed
- A quick digesting protein such as whey is the best choice.
- Protein consumed during exercise has consistently shown a greater suppressive effect on training induced muscle catabolism.
- If training last less than 60 minutes, and a protein containing pre work out meal or shake was ingested within 90 minutes of training…during training protein is of no benefit.
During Training Carbs
- Conservative: 30-60g per hour needed.
- Liberal: 60-70g per hour needed.
- Carbs during training can benefit endurance exercise approaching or exceeding 2 hours.
- During training carbs, protein, and electrolyte concerns are practically nil when training does not exceed 60 minutes when proper pre nutrition is in place.
During Training Fats
- Does not enhance performance and can cause gastrointestinal upset.